Frequently Asked Questions

Rent at iResidence

What income requirements do I need to meet to be able to rent?

iResidence assesses each prospective tenant on an individual basis. In order to do that, we will need additional information from you, including income details. iResidence also carries out a credit check through EDR –

Based on the documents you provide and the outcome of the credit check, we will determine whether you may rent a property with us or not. We have summarised the conditions that we use in our assessment below:

Financial conditions
As a rule, we use the following income criteria to determine whether you are eligible to rent a property:

Income threshold
For new tenants, we set a minimum income threshold. This means that we look at the ratio between your monthly income and the monthly amount of rent. This varies between properties. As a general rule, your gross monthly income must be at least three times the basic rent.
Proof must be provided in the form of three recent pay slips and a statement from your employer (or accountant's certificate if self-employed) or an income tax return.

Dual-earners are subject to a different method of income calculation or conditions with respect to the second income. In most cases, half of the second income counts towards the income threshold. These incomes are assessed on an individual basis.

Self-employed persons are subject to a different method of income calculation or conditions. We will look at each case individually. Depending on your circumstances, we will ask for deposit of an average of one to three months’ rent. If you cannot provide this, you will unfortunately not be able to rent with us. You must provide a recent extract from the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce. In addition, we will ask for a profit and loss/balance sheet certified by an accredited accountant, at least three outgoing invoices and a copy of your most recent income tax return.

If you are retired, please send us a statement showing your annual income and/or benefits received.

Own capital
If you do not meet our income threshold, but you have your own capital available, this can be taken into account in your application. We will look at each case individually.

Payment arrears
You must not be in payment arrears with your current landlord or mortgage lender. As proof, we will ask you to send us a statement from your landlord/building manager, owner or mortgage lender.
The above also applies to any guarantors.

Before you start the tenancy, we will ask you for a deposit equal to one month’s rent. We will not reimburse any interest on the deposit. In certain cases, such as if you are self-employed, your income is insufficient or you do not have a permanent job, the amount of the deposit or the guarantee from your parent(s) may be higher.

Other conditions

  • Incomplete application forms will not be considered.
  • The data you provide will be treated as strictly confidential.
  • No rights whatsoever may be derived from the submission of an application form.
  • We may perform a credit check as part of your application. The credit check will look at your payment history over the last few years. The results will be used to assess the financial risk.
  • Applications may be refused at any time without providing justification.
  • If your circumstances change to our detriment during the application process, we reserve the right to cancel your application.

What documents do I need to provide to be able to rent?

In order to be eligible for a rental apartment with iResidence, you will need to provide the following documents. Only complete dossiers will be accepted.


  • You must provide a permanent contract or an employer’s statement declaring their intention to extend your contract by at least one year or to issue you with a permanent contract.
  • You must provide three recent pay slips. If you have only started working for your employer recently and cannot provide recent pay slips, we would appreciate a copy of the employment contract in full.
  • You must provide a colour copy of a valid proof of identity (not a driving licence).
  • You must provide proof of salary payments into your bank account.
  • Your gross monthly income must be at least three times the basic rent.
  • You must provide a reference from a previous landlord, if applicable.
  • You must provide an extract from the Dutch Register of Persons (Basisregistratie Personen).
  • You must not be in debt.


  • You must provide a recent extract from the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce.
  • You must provide at least two profit and loss/balance sheets certified by an accredited accountant.
  • You must provide a recent income tax return.
  • You must provide a colour copy of a valid proof of identity (not a driving licence).
  • You must provide a reference from a previous landlord or a mortgage declaration.
  • You must provide an extract from the Dutch Register of Persons (Basisregistratie Personen).
  • You must not be in debt.


  • If you have a part-time job, you must provide three recent pay slips and a statement from your employer.
  • You must provide a guarantee from your parents warranting that they will meet all payment obligations arising under the rental contract.
  • The guarantor must have a gross monthly income of at least four times the basic monthly rent and have a permanent position of employment.
  • You must provide a colour copy of a valid proof of identity (not a driving licence).
  • You must provide a reference from a previous landlord, if applicable.
  • You must provide the amount of student finance you will receive, if applicable.
  • You must provide an extract from the Dutch Register of Persons (Basisregistratie Personen).
  • You must provide proof of salary/student finance payments in your bank account.
  • You must not be in debt (except for student finance).
  • You must provide proof of course registration.


  • The guarantor must provide a colour copy of valid proof of identity (not a driving licence).
  • The guarantor must provide three recent pay slips.
  • The guarantor must provide a statement from their employer.
  • The guarantor must provide proof of salary payments into their bank account.
  • The guarantor must provide a reference from a previous landlord or a mortgage declaration.
  • The guarantor must provide an extract from the Dutch Register of Persons (Basisregistratie Personen).
  • The guarantor must not be in debt.

What does the rent consist of?

Every month, you pay rent for your property. The total amount consists of:

  • Basic rent
  • Service costs
  • Parking (if applicable)
  • Advance payment for utilities (optional)

Basic rent
The basic rent is paid for the use of your property. This is the amount which the landlord uses to calculate the annual rent increase. The tax authorities use this amount to calculate the rent allowance provided in the case of social housing.

Service costs
You will have to pay service costs each month. These cover services and supplies which the landlord provides for you. These costs are in addition to the basic rent. Service costs must be clearly separated from the basic rent. The services and supplies are agreed for the entire building. An overview of the service costs can be found in Annex II of your rental contract.

The amount you pay each month for service costs is provided in advance. Once a year, the landlord will provide you with an overview of the service costs for the previous calendar year.

The overview states:

  • The actual service costs paid over the past year;
  • The advance payment that you paid the previous year;
  • Whether you will receive a refund or owe any more.

How is the amount of rent calculated?

On 1 October 2015, a new system to calculate the rent value of residential property came into effect. The most important change is that the WOZ value (see explanation below) of the property as determined according to relevant legislation is included in the calculation of the number of points scored by the property. Criteria that no longer apply in the calculation of the number of points include the type of accommodation, living environment, sources of nuisance and deficiencies.

Applicability: the new points system applies to self-contained, rented accommodation, whether social or not.

Liberalised rental contracts
The points system does not apply to liberalised rental contracts, i.e. those for the private sector where the monthly rent amount is greater than the liberalisation threshold on the start date of the contract. The liberalisation threshold on 1 January 2015 was € 710.68. This means that rental contracts with an initial rent exceeding € 710.68 per month in 2015 were liberalised.

Property value, points and rent
The rent value of each residential property is calculated and expressed in points. The number of points of a property determines the maximum rent amount. The more points a property scores, the higher the maximum rent. The rent amount of a property therefore depends on the number of points it scores.

Why is there a new system?
As of 1 October 2015, the value of a property has more of a weighting when calculating the number of points. This follows a government decision that the value of a property should have a bigger influence on the rent amount. The property value is worth approximately 25% of the points, or rather 25% of the points depend on the property value.

What is the WOZ value?
The value is determined under a piece of Dutch legislation called the Wet Waardering Onroerende Zaken (Property Valuation Act) or WOZ for short. Every year, the municipality you live in determines the WOZ value for all residential properties, whether owned or rented. You could think of it as the market value of the property. The WOZ value is used to determine certain taxes and is now also taken into consideration when calculating the number of points for a rented property.

Where can I find out the WOZ value?
Please contact your municipality to find out the WOZ value. Explain why you need to find this out.

The WOZ value is adjusted annually. Which WOZ value is valid for the purpose of determining the points for my property?
The WOZ value that is valid is the one determined most recently i.e. over the previous year.

Does this mean that the score for my property changes every year?
That is a possibility. The WOZ value counts for about 25% of the total score, so if the WOZ value changes, so does the number of points for the property.

Rental agreement

The rental agreement is entered into for a minimum period of one year, after which the agreement goes on indefinitely.

Our general conditions apply to leases of iResidence. These provisions state the rights and obligations of both the tenant and the landlord.

We advise you to read these provisions carefully. If you have any questions, please contact one of our employees.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent payments
You must pay rent every month for the property you rent from iResidence. The rent must always be paid in advance. This means that the rent must be received by the landlord by the first day of the month. For example, the rent payment for February is automatically debited on or around 26 January. If your account does not support direct debit, you must make the payment manually by no later than 1 February. By signing the rental contract, you authorise the landlord to automatically debit the rent from your account every month.

Collection agency
If you do not pay the rent on time, you will receive a reminder which gives you 14 days to make the payment. If you do not respond to the reminder, you will receive a formal notice. The formal notice will contain the statutory collection costs levied by the landlord. If you do not respond to the payment reminder/formal notice or make payment, then the landlord will refer the matter to a debt collection agency. 

From that moment on, contact between the tenant and the landlord will go through a lawyer, who will attempt to settle the claim without involving the courts. If this does not succeed, the case will go to court. This could result in the rental contract being terminated. 

iResidence advises its tenants not to allow matters to get this far, but if you do experience payment problems, please contact us immediately. The collection costs, contractual penalty, court costs and interest will always be borne by the tenant.

Will the rent increase during the tenancy?

As specified in your rental contract, the rent amount is indexed on 1 July every year. 

This means that your basic rent will increase. The information below shows the percentages we set for 2017. This only applies to apartments/studios under the liberalised rent amount limit.

For more information about the indexing, please visit the Dutch government website.

Maximum rent increase on incomes up to € 40,349
For households with an income up to € 40,349, the maximum rent increase on 1 January 2017 is equal to 2.8% (0.3 inflation + 2.5 percentage points, up to the maximum reasonable rent amount).

Maximum rent increase on incomes above € 40,349

For households with an income above € 40,349, the maximum rent increase is equal to 4.3% (0.3 inflation + 4 percentage points).

The rent increase takes effect on 1 July 2017.

Rent harmonisation
When new tenants move into a property, the rent is adjusted in line with current market value. This is called ‘rent harmonisation’ and it means you pay the same rent as your neighbour. Rent harmonisation also applies if you swap properties with someone else.

How can I cancel my tenancy?

If your co-resident moves out or is unable to continue the tenancy for any other reason, you will first need to terminate your rental contract in writing. Then, we will contact you for an initial and final inspection of the property. 

When terminating the rental contract, you should take the following into consideration:

  • Your rental contract needs to be terminated in writing by registered letter. You must adhere to the notice period, which is indicated in the rental contract. The notice of termination must be addressed to the owner of the property, as specified in the rental contract.
  • For apartments, the statutory notice period after the first year is one calendar month.
  • In your notice of termination, you need to state the address of the property, the date of termination, your phone number and your new address. The notice must be signed by the tenant(s) specified in the rental contract. In the event that one of the tenants dies, the relationship between the signatory and that tenant must be specified. A copy of the death certificate should be included.

The termination takes effect as soon as the landlord receives the notice of termination. You will receive written confirmation from the landlord that the termination has been received.

How should the property be handed over?

What do you need to do once you have terminated the rental contract? The following information also applies (where applicable) to any parking spaces and storage rooms in addition to the property itself. The rental contract and/or the General Terms and Conditions of the tenancy specifies that the property and all the associated contents must be left in a good and original condition at the end of the tenancy, except for normal wear and tear. One of our property managers will come to the property to perform an initial and final inspection. They will contact you to schedule an appointment for both inspections.

Initial inspection
During the initial inspection, the condition of the apartment will be checked by our property manager together with you. It is important that you are present for this inspection. The initial inspection takes place approximately two weeks before the end of the tenancy.
If the initial inspection reveals any damage to the property or you have made any changes to the property without the landlord’s consent, you may have to restore the property to a good, proper and original condition before you leave. This will be confirmed in writing on a separate form, of which both parties will receive a copy. Any work that you need to carry out to restore the property must be done before the final inspection.

Damage not discovered during the initial inspection
The initial inspection is performed while you still reside in the property. There is no need to remove any of your belongings. However, our property manager may not spot everything, and there could be damage that is not visible at this stage. But this damage still need to be rectified before you vacate the property. If you have made any changes or if there is damage is present, we advise you to let the property manager know during the initial inspection. Also, if you are unsure about what you are responsible for rectifying, please ask the property manager. This way, you can avoid any unpleasant surprises during the final inspection in terms of any damage or changes that you need to rectify or any maintenance work you need to carry out.

Final inspection
You will need to make an appointment with our property manager for the final joint inspection of the property. Preferably, this appointment should be made during the initial inspection. During the final inspection of the property, our property manager will check the condition of the property and whether the repairs agreed during the initial inspection have been made. If this has not been done or has only been done partially, it will be noted in the final inspection report. This also applies to items you should have removed from the property.
If, at the end of the inspection, it appears that not all repair work has been carried out, we will deduct the costs incurred to carry out these repairs from your deposit. We wish to stress that if the deposit does not cover these costs, there will be an invoice for the remaining amount.
Our property manager will draw up a report of the final inspection, which will be signed by all parties. The property must be completely cleared and cleaned by the time of the final inspection. You will also need to hand over all the keys to the apartment at that point.

When will I get the final statement of the service costs?

After the property is handed back over to us, you will receive a final statement of all outstanding costs (rent, advances and any repair costs). The landlord will also balance this against the deposit you paid. The outstanding costs will be settled within 58 days of the property handover.

You are responsible for ending your contracts with utility, television and internet suppliers in good time.
This does not apply if you provided an advance payment for utilities as part of your rental contract. 

You must inform your suppliers well ahead of your move. 

On the day you vacate the property, you need to take meter readings yourself and provide these on the bottom of the handover form. You can find all the information on your suppliers’ websites.


Who is responsible for maintenance and repairs?

You and your landlord are jointly responsible for maintaining your apartment or room. The landlord is responsible for major maintenance work. You are responsible for minor, day-to-day maintenance of the property you are renting.

As a rule,

  • The cost of minor repairs must be covered by the tenant and the cost of major repairs and maintenance must be covered by the landlord.
  • Minor repairs can be carried out by the tenant rather easily and should not cost a lot. More costly repairs should be undertaken by the landlord.
  • Built-in kitchen appliances are generally regarded as part of the property, and as such they are rented to the tenant along with the apartment. If a built-in refrigerator is broken, for example, the landlord is responsible for covering the costs of the repair.
  • The tenant must allow the landlord access to the property in order to carry out maintenance and repairs.
  • You are responsible for repairing any damage you cause yourself. If the landlord also carries out minor, day-to-day repairs, the costs incurred may be passed on to you as part of the service costs.

To see the full list of maintenance for rented property, please visit the Dutch government website.